This post is a Six Word Saturday contribution. Please check out Debbie’s source post here. The original source for Today my husband and I attended a birthday party. It was … Continue reading The Wheel of Life Always Turns
Some thoughts as I relax on Saturday morning:
- Today is my friend Carmen’s birthday. I hope she’ll have a nice day to herself in Puerto Rico. Her favorite thing to do is spend a few hours at the casino. She doesn’t spend a lot, but she enjoys her time there.
- It’s such an unseasonable day. It feels like the time Andy and I went to Wildwood and Cape May three years ago. It was such a breezy day. So warm that I could wear my jacket on the boardwalk and not freeze. If it wasn’t raining today, we would be on our way down right now.
- This weekend I need to pick up the rest of my Secret Santa gifts. Most of my co-workers shopped for their gifts, but I usually wait. I’ll write a bit more about this in my Blogmas post this evening.
Last night I spoke to my best friend from Puerto Rico. We shared about how the life paths my cousin and her niece have taken, who were born two months apart, are very different. It’s been 13 years since I last saw her niece, and she’s made a successful life for herself. Had my cousin Brittany held more confidence in her abilities to succeed in school, her life path would have taken a similar, positive turn to Christine’s.
I’m going to call my friend again on Saturday. It will be her birthday on that day. Her goal is to head out to the casino, so hopefully she can achieve her goal this weekend.
Yesterday was an eventful one. Andy and I began our journey in Somerset, headed towards the New Brunswick area. A couple hours into the journey, we received word that a good friend of Andy’s was having a birthday gathering an hour away. It was an hour away, yet we still wanted to hang out with them, since they were very nice people. So our journey took us over to West Caldwell for the rest of the day.
We hung out at a Starbucks, where they had lovely bookcases filled with eclectic resding material. Andy alternated reading aloud from Aeneid and a Harlequin book titled ‘The Shiekh’s Captive’. It was a wonderful time.
After we parted ways with our friends, we headed to this Sushi place called Inspiration Roll for dinner. They offered Ramen bowls and sushi on their menu. We both got Sweet Potato Rolls and Confucius Nachos. This side dish contained spicy tuna and avocado with chips. It was pretty good. I also couldn’t resist taking a photo of Snoopy by the food. I always take Snoopy photos wherever we go!
Halloween is over, yet it doesn’t mean that the ‘spooky’ theme needs to be put away. I’m one of those people who sticks to eccentric, dark things no matter the time of year. Some of the new books out there sounds amazing to explore really soon.
Right now I’m reading ‘After the Quake’ by Murakami (I don’t have the book in front of me, so I don’t want to get his name wrong). It’s a short story collection, and so far I read one of the pieces. Perhaps it’s due to the translation, but he has an interesting way of writing his characters. I can’t wait to read the rest of the collection.
Today is my cousin Phillip’s 30th birthday! It’s such a milestone year. Currently he’s living in Florida with his family. He has a very busy life, but he does what he can to make sure everyone is content. I’m hopeful that I can see him in August for the wedding.
- I spoke to my aunt and uncle for a little while today. It’s their birthday, and each person is going through a significant change in life (one transitioning into a career change, the other readying for retirement). I offered my input as to where to seek information for a career shift. It’s understandably overwhelming, but I hope the change needed will take place soon.
- Andy and I celebrated a relative’s 1st birthday party this afternoon at Chimney Rock, in Morris County. There were a lot of people enjoying this special moment in her life. When I went to my niece’s 1st birthday, it was a pool party/cookout event. Ana looked adorable in her swimsuit! I feel like the pool party was more for the adults than her, but it was a way to bring family and close friends together.
- I’m making some progress in ‘Daughters of the Lake’! I’m about halfway done with the story. The familial lines of the characters are pretty lengthy, the build-up certainly leading to the impending plot twist. I’m looking forward to the shift.
My naptime CDs from Amazon came in today! I’m very happy, since the ones I keep at work are skipping like crazy due to overuse. Andy is going to create a copy of the CDs so I can make another copy in case the disc stops working again.
Today is my friend Iris’s birthday! Iris is a very good friend from college. We maintained our friendship after graduation, and we discovered that we went through similar hardships and joys during our life journeys, close to the same period. We haven’t been able to make contact in recent weeks due to life’s complications (and scheduling). I sent a warm birthday message to her though. At least, I think of it as a warm message…it’s tough to interpret feelings on a text message, but I’m always hopeful that Iris has a wonderful birthday.
Now it’s on to laminate things for my classroom before reading my book. Now that a new theme is coming up, I need to prepare the display messages and theme wall. It’s always the first week of a new theme that’s stressful, due to the preparation.